Makes 12 cupcakes
Spiced Chocolate Cupcakes:
1 cup light soy milk (I used Silk Brand)
1 cinnamon stick
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 + 1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Ghiradelli Brand)
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup Kelapo Coconut Oil (or vegetable oil)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
PAM Baking Flavor
1/4 cup vegan margarine- I used Earthbalance
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese- I used Tofutti
2 1/2 Tbsp. pumpkin puree
3 cups confectioner sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2-1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Red & yellow food colors to make orange
Sprinkles – for decoration (optional)
1. In a small pot/saucepan, pour the soy milk and add the cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil, then turn off and let the cinnamon steep for about 10-15 minutes. Remove the cinnamon with a spoon once the milk is about room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F, and spray and line 1 cupcake pan. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. To the room temperature soy milk add the sugar, Kelapo coconut oil, vanilla extract and almond extract. Whisk until well combined. Using the same whisk, slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry whisking until the batter is smooth. DO NOT over mix. Using a ladle, ladle in the batter into the cupcake liners going up about 3/4 of the way.
3. Bake for about 18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the vegan butter, cream cheese and pumpkin until creamy and smooth. Sift in 1 cup of the powdered sugar, and beat. Sift in the 2nd cup of powdered sugar and beat until well combined. Repeat for the last cup of powdered sugar. Frosting should be thick. Add in vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and food coloring. Beat until well combined. Taste to make sure it’s spiced properly and it tastes like pumpkin! Cover in plastic and store in the fridge until ready to pipe.
5. Once the cupcakes are completely cool, pipe on the frosting and sprinkle with the decorative sprinkles.
Nutrition facts per serving Calories 223; protein 3 g; fat 11 g; carbs 30 g