This quick-to-make nourish bowl is packed full of raw and cooked veggies, and plant-based protein and it’s drizzled with our homemade vegan “cheese” sauce. It makes for a simple weeknight dinner and will satisfy your cravings for comfort food.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- 1/3 cup green or brown lentils
- 1/2 cup whole grain rice
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 small zucchini, spiraled
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 3 cups arugula
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- sprouts of choice
- Soak rice and lentils for at least
30 minutes (preferably 8 hours or overnight). (see notes)
- Drain and rinse the rice and lentils and add them to a medium pot on high heat with 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to
a boil then reduce to a simmer, with the lid partially covered. Cook until all water is absorbed and al dente, about 30 minutes. If the rice and lentils have cooked and are al dente but some liquid remains, simply drain the liquid and let sit on low heat without a lid to allow the excess moisture to evaporate.
- While rice and lentils are cooking, prepare your sauté veggies. Add coconut oil and onions to a medium pan and sauté on high heat for 2 minutes, stirring and adding 1 Tbsp. water as needed to prevent burning. Add peppers, smoked paprika and salt and continue to stir(and add water as needed) for another 4 minutes. Add spiralized zucchini and spinach gently mix it all together and continue to cook for only 1 more minute then remove from heat.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- ½ cup of water
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked at least 30 mins in warm water
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. unrefined sea salt
- Generous pinch of black pepper
Drain and rinse the sunflower seeds then add them to a high-speed blender along with the remaining ingredients. Blend on high until smooth and creamy, adding additional water as needed.
TO ASSEMBLE THE BOWL
Divide the fresh arugula, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado and sprouts among the bowls. Top each with 1/2 – 1 cup cooked rice
and lentils and a generous amount of sautéed veggies.
Drizzle with vegan cheese sauce. Enjoy!
Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Will last about 2 or 3 days.
Nutrition facts per serving Calories 477; protein 19 g; fat 20 g; carbs 57 g.
You May Also Like
Photography by Zuzana Fajkusova
Featuring Brendan Brazier, athlete and pioneer in the plant-based sports nutrition industry. Trail Running 101 – plus this year’s Trail Running Shoe Review. Travel around the world to the top vegan-friendly destinations, recipes and much more!