Enjoy this hearty, traditional dish while sticking to a plant-based diet. Meatless crumbles are an excellent substitute for meat, high in protein, and they cook and taste even better. Toss with pappardelle pasta noodles for an easy and ultimate comfort food dish.
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 lb. cremini mushrooms (16 oz), sliced
- 340 g plant-based ground ‘beef’ (optional)
- 1.5 cubes vegetable broth
- ½ can coconut milk (200 ml)
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. tamari
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. sea salt, finely ground
- Pinch pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 500 g pasta noodles of your choice (such as Pappardelle)
- In a large deep skillet add the onion, garlic and coconut oil. Bring to medium heat and cook until softened. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until the mushrooms are softened and browned (about 10 mins). If using the plant-based ground ‘beef’, add it to the skillet and cook until browned (about 7 mins). Remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the vegetable broth, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, tamari, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, sea salt and pepper on low heat. Pour the liquid mixture into the skillet reserving ½ cup of the liquid. Add the all-purpose flour to the reserved liquid and whisk to combine. Add the reserved liquid to the skillet and stir everything to combine. Increase heat to a low simmer.
- Add the pasta noodles to a large pot of boiling water. Cook until al-dente (about 7 mins). Strain and gently rinse with cold water, then add the pasta to the skillet and toss together to combine.
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories 103; protein 5 g; fat 5 g; carbs 12 g.
IMPACT Magazine’s 2021 Running Issue
Looking for running inspiration? Training for a race? We have first-rate training programs designed by some of the best running coaches for your next 10K, Half-Marathon, Marathon and 70.3 distances, plus an epic Road Running Shoe Review to help you get started on the right foot. Plus – our annual RACE SOURCE GUIDE features hundreds of races that you can participate in from virtual to in-person.