These Lemon Poppy Seed Oat Bars are chewy and bursting with bright lemony flavours! Made with just 7 plant-based ingredients, these are the perfect breakfast or snack to prep and take with you on the go! (vegan, gluten-free & oil-free)
Makes 5-6 Bars
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
or coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. cashew butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. poppy seeds or chia seeds
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar + 2 tsp. lemon juice for lemon icing drizzle.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Add 1 1/2 cup of oats into food processor and pulse 6-10 times or until coarsely ground. Add in the other half of the oats, water and lemon juice. Mix with a spoon and let it sit for 3-5 minutes.
If your coconut butter is not already runny, melt it down. Then into a large bowl, combine it with the rice malt syrup, cashew butter, lemon zest, vanilla and salt.
Add in the oats and poppy seeds, and mix until combined.
Transfer the batter into a lined 8×4 inch bread pan or mini loaf pans. Spread evenly so that the top is flat and even.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating half way. The edges will be slightly firmer and more browned.
Once removed from the oven, allow it to cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Carefully remove from the pan and place on cooling rack for another 10 minutes. (In the meantime, prepare the lemon icing by combining the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until desired consistency.) Divide into 5-6 bars, drizzle with icing and enjoy!
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 260; protein 6 g; fat 13 g; carbs 35 g.
Tips & Tricks for Making Oat Bars
- Do not skip out on soaking the oats in the lemon juice and water! This helps with the chewiness of the bars.
- Press the bars firmly into the pan to prevent them from falling apart. The potato masher is the perfect tool for this! If you don’t have a flat solid potato masher, measuring cups will work too.
- These bars can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.