Do you love the taste of classic cabbage rolls, but don’t have the time to make them? This meat-free cabbage roll casserole can be made in a fraction of the time, and delivers the same great flavors of stuffed cabbage with very little effort. So tasty and easy!
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. oregano, dry or fresh
- Pinch of thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 5 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 8-oz can no-sugar-added tomato paste
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup yellow split peas, soaked and drained
- ½ cup uncooked brown rice, soaked and drained
- In a deep-dish skillet, warm the coconut oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion, carrots and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir in the dried herbs, salt, pepper, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon juice, molasses and water, then bring to a low boil.
- Mix in the chopped cabbage, and stir to combine all ingredients.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for
- 10 minutes.
- Stir in the split peas and brown rice.
- Cover and cook over low-medium heat for approximately 30 to 35 minutes or until cooked and thickened. Enjoy!
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 300; protein 10 g; fat 5 g; carbs 45 g.
RBC Olympic hopefuls Hayley Daniels, Sam Effah and Kate Wright as our inspiring cover athlete stories! Get prepared for winter running, making movement part of your workday, and exploring great hikes near Calgary and Vancouver.