Baked butternut squash
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil (or Earth Balance’s Buttery Spread, or lemon juice)
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 head broccoli
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tsp. white sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp. almond butter
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. tamari
- 1 tsp. miso paste
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1 garlic clove
- 3-4 Tbsp. water, or more, as needed
- To prepare the squash: peel, deseed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes; toss with melted coconut oil, salt, pepper and herbs. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 F, or until each piece is tender all the way through (test one with a fork).
- Cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces and steam for 7-8 minutes or until vibrantly green and slightly tender.
- To make the sauce: blend everything together until smooth, adding as much or as little water as you like.
- Place butternut squash and broccoli on a plate or in a bowl, drizzle with your sauce, then sprinkle on green onion and sesame seeds.
NOTE: This would also be delicious with rice or noodles added!
Nutrition facts per serving Calories 261; protein 6.5 g; fat 15.5 g; carbs 24.5 g.
You May Also Like
Photography by Emily von Euw
Featuring Brendan Brazier, athlete and pioneer in the plant-based sports nutrition industry. Trail Running 101 – plus this year’s Trail Running Shoe Review. Travel around the world to the top vegan-friendly destinations, recipes and much more!