This vegan cheesy leek and potato soup is a great seasonal meal: it’s comforting, it’s easy to make, it’s packed with flavour, and of course, it is absolutely delicious!
Prep Time – 15 minutes
Cook Time – 35 minutes Serves 4
Leek and Potato Soup
• 2 leeks
• 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
• 3 potatoes, medium sized, chopped into chunks (500g)
• 3 cups water
Cheesy Cashew Cream Sauce
• 1/3 cup raw cashews soaked overnight, strained
• 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
• 3 garlic cloves
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
• 3/4 tsp. Dijon mustard
• 3/4 tsp. apple cider vinegar
• 3/4 tsp. cumin
• 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
• 1-2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary (optional)
• 1 tsp. coconut oil
• Pinch salt
- Chop the tough, dark green ends off leeks and discard, keeping the white and light green stems only. Then chop leeks into roughly 1-inch pieces and wash thoroughly. Add leeks to a large pot with coconut oil and bring to medium-high heat. Cook leeks, stirring often until soft and wilted (approx. 10 minutes).
- Add chopped potatoes to pot and stir mixture until potatoes have softened slightly (approx. 10 minutes). Pour in water and simmer veg on low heat
until potatoes are very soft and tender.(approx. 15 minutes).
- While you are waiting for the potatoes to soften, make your Cashew Cheese Sauce. In a blender, add soaked cashews (strained), almond milk, garlic cloves, salt, nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar and cumin. Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour cheese sauce into a bowl or jug (as you will need the blender for the soup. No need to wash it out, however).
- Add leek and potato soup to blender and blend until smooth. Then pour back into saucepan along with cheese sauce. Taste and adjust ﬂavours if desired (adding more salt, or cumin, or apple cider vinegar for brightness, or water to thin). Keep on a low simmer until ready to serve.
- Add coconut oil to a small skillet with pumpkin seeds, rosemary and a pinch of salt. Bring to medium-high heat and toast rosemary and pumpkin seeds until browned and perfumed, (approx.
- 3- 5 minutes).
- Divide leek and potato soup into bowls and top with fried rosemary and pumpkin seeds.
Be sure to wash leeks well as they hold a lot of dirt between the layers. I like to cut mine ﬁrst and then give the pieces a thorough wash.
Cashew Cheese Sauce can be replaced with 1/2 can (200ml) canned coconut milk. But the cheese sauce makes it extra cheesy!
Soup will keep in the fridge for up to one week.
Nutrition facts per serving Calories 374; protein 18 g; fat 16 g; carbs 42 g.
You May Also Like Recipes
Read This Story in Our 2023 Inspiration Issue
Read about our 2023 Canada’s Top Fitness Instructors – our top 30 from across Canada! How to Train Smarter in 2023, Yoga Nidra for What Ails You, Racing the World’s Highest Ultramarathon, our favourite plant-based recipes and more!