Parsnips and celery seed create a subtle earthy sweetness in the broth, which makes this soup taste divine. Top with fresh parsley and serve with a slice of rye bread for a hearty comforting meal on any cold day. This winter vegetable soup is vegan and gluten-free.
Prep Time – 10 minutes
Cook Time – 35 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 medium parsnip, diced
- 1 medium leek sliced, white part only
- A good splash of sherry cooking wine
or white wine
- ½ cup wild rice, uncooked
- ½ tsp. whole celery seed
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt & fresh black pepper to taste
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot. Add the diced onion, garlic, carrot, celery, parsnip and leek and cook, stirring frequently, over medium-high heat, or until the vegetables are tender and slightly browned (about 5 minutes).
- Deglaze the pot with a splash of sherry cooking wine. Stir in the wild rice, celery seed and bay leaf. Add the vegetable broth and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked. Stir in the chickpeas and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a generous helping of chopped fresh parsley, spinach or kale.
Parsnip can be exchanged for either additional carrot or diced new potatoes.
Wild rice can be substituted for white or brown rice; however, cooking times will need to be adjusted to compensate. Use the package instructions for directions to estimate cooking times for your particular type of rice.
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories 287; protein 11 g; fat 8 g; carbs 38 g.
You May Also Like Recipes
Photography by Heidi Richter
Read This Story in Our 2023 Inspiration Issue
Read about our 2023 Canada’s Top Fitness Instructors – our top 30 from across Canada! How to Train Smarter in 2023, Yoga Nidra for What Ails You, Racing the World’s Highest Ultramarathon, our favourite plant-based recipes and more!