This vegan fried rice with scrambled tofu is a healthy take on fried rice that is loaded with veggies, edamame beans, and turmeric-scrambled tofu instead of eggs! Enjoy this protein-loaded veggie dish for dinner or as a side. Vegan fried rice is a great one-pan recipe that combines grains, proteins and veggies for a balanced meal that is easy to make.
- Cook the rice ahead of time to save time prepping this recipe.
- Make sure not to overcook the rice before adding it to the pan! The rice will continue to cook up a bit once it’s in the pan with the veggies.
- Use a good quality organic firm tofu.
- Let the rice cook a bit in the pan without mixing it so the bottom can crisp up.
- 2 tsp. avocado oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1/2 pack of medium-firm tofu (about 200 g)
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp. soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked according to package directions (can substitute any rice)
- 2 tsp. avocado oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large carrot, cut into cubes
- 1 celery stalk, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cooked peas
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. vegetarian oyster sauce (or hoisin sauce)
- 1 tsp. sriracha
Heat the avocado oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat.
Crumble the tofu with your hands and add to the pan, letting cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
Add the turmeric and soy sauce and toss together. Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
Heat the remaining 2 tsp. avocado oil in a pan, then add the onion and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the garlic, carrot and celery and cook for another 4-5 minutes on medium heat, until the carrots are tender. Next, add the peas, brown rice, soy sauce, sesame oil, vegetarian oyster sauce, sriracha and scrambled tofu and mix until combined.
Let sit and cook for 1-2 minutes to allow the bottom layer of rice to get a little crispy. Remove from heat and serve.
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 450; protein 17 g; fat 8 g; carbs 70 g.