Imagine the taste of banana bread combined with the texture of a muffin top, formed into the shape of a perfect chocolate chip cookie! These vegan banana bread breakfast cookies are made with spelt flour and are refined-sugar free. They store well in the fridge so you can make these ahead of time for those Monday mornings when you snooze a little too hard!
Makes 13 cookies
- ⅔ cup mashed banana approximately
- 1 ½ bananas
- 2 Tbsp. flax meal + 4 Tbsp. water
- ¼ cup softened coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups spelt flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup semi-sweet non-dairy
- chocolate pieces
- Preheat oven to 375 F. In a small bowl, combine the flax meal (ground flax seeds) and water and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the mashed banana, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and flax mixture and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, sift together the spelt flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture and stir to combine.
- Stir in the oats and chocolate pieces until evenly distributed. You will have a mixture that resembles a cross between a muffin batter and cookie dough.
- Using a spoon or cookie scoop (my preference), portion the dough into 13 rounds and place them on a large baking sheet approximately 2″ apart.
- Using the palm of your hand or the back of a spoon, gently flatten each round until approximately ½” thick — the batter is quite sticky, so don’t be alarmed if you have some pulling off onto your hand. If you prefer, flour your hand a little to prevent sticking.
- Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven or until slightly golden around the edges.
- Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet.
- Gently move each cookie to a wire rack to cool completely.
Note: Keep these covered in the fridge to retain their flavour and texture for up to 3-4 days.
Nutrition facts per cookie
Calories 177; protein 3 g; fat 6 g; carbs 20 g.
Read This Story in Our Outdoor Summer Digital Edition
Get outside and play!
We’ve covered DIY Bike Maintenance, Wildlife Travel, Open Water Swimming, Ultramarathon Training, Paddleboarding, Family Adventures, and Dogs and a Cat to watch on Instagram! Work out with Canada’s Top Fitness Instructors and be inspired by our Athletes with IMPACT.