This is a great base recipe for trail mix. Without peanuts or tree nuts, it’s also free of priority food allergens and a perfect snack for kids and adults alike.
Prep time of 5 minutes, cook time of 5 minutes, cooling time of 10 minutes.
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup roasted shelled sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 6 dried apricots, chopped into smaller pieces
- 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips or chunks
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add the maple syrup to a small pot over medium heat.
- When it starts to bubble, stir in the salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- Reduce heat to medium low, and add the pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.
- Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring often. Be sure to watch this closely as it’s a fine line between a nice maple coating and burning the mix.
- When there appears to be no more “extra” syrup in the pot and everything is sticking to the seeds, remove from heat and pour the mixture onto the parchment paper. Let cool.
- Once cool, the seeds should have a firm glaze on the outside. Break apart any clusters as needed, and mix in a bowl with the remainder of the ingredients. Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight bag or container at room temperature for up to a week.
Notes: Makes approximately 7 servings of 1/3 cup each.
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories 225; protein 5 g; fat 10.5 g; carbs 29 g.
Read This Story in Our Outdoor Summer Digital Edition
Get outside and play!
We’ve covered DIY Bike Maintenance, Wildlife Travel, Open Water Swimming, Ultramarathon Training, Paddleboarding, Family Adventures, and Dogs and a Cat to watch on Instagram! Work out with Canada’s Top Fitness Instructors and be inspired by our Athletes with IMPACT.