Kimchi Collard Parcels with Sesame Mushroom Stuffing & Smoky Fermented Cilantro Cream
These plant-based parcels are bursting with flavour. The marinated mushrooms lend a meaty, hearty flavour which is balanced by the kimchi’s brighter, sharper, fermented flavours. This dish is great for your gut health and your taste buds!
- 4 Collard Green Leaves, stems cut out
- A handful of shredded beets and carrots
- Avocado, sliced
Sesame Mushroom Stuffing
- 2 cups marinated and dehydrated mushrooms (see direction #3)
- 1 cup Low So Kimchi
- 1 Tbsp. tahini paste
- 1 Tbsp. minced onion
Smoky Fermented Cilantro Cream
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- and rinsed
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup spinach or kale
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp. kimchi juice
- (from the Low-Sodium Kimchi), optional
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- ¼ tsp. Himalayan pink salt, more to taste
- 2 cups fresh cilantro (added by hand)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (optional)
- Strip the collard greens of their spine. Leave collard greens on the counter for 4 hours. They will wilt significantly and this makes them much easier to roll.
- Meanwhile, add all stuffing ingredients to a food processor and pulse 4-5 times until mixture resembles a crumble.
- To make the marinated and dehydrated mushrooms, combine the following in a mason jar and shake well: 1 Tbsp. of tamari, 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil, 1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup, 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice. In a bowl combine mushrooms and marinade, toss. Dehydrate on Teflex sheets in a dehydrator at 115 C for 6 hours, until moisture is reduced significantly but mushrooms are not dry.
- Prepare your Cilantro Cream. Blend all ingredients (except cilantro) in a high-speed blender until creamy, then empty into a large bowl. Add chopped cilantro and combine with a spoon.
- Place one collard, underside-up, on your surface and place a few spoonfuls of stuffing, shredded carrots, beets, and a few slices of avocado. Roll up like a gift, folding the sides in.
- Slice in half and serve with Smoky Fermented Cilantro Cream.
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 101; protein 3 g; fat 10 g; carbs 6 g.
IMPACT Magazine’s December 2020 Edition
Read about our top Canadian Olympic snowboarder who returned from injury and is chasing that elusive Olympic Gold! Learn how not to lose your momentum running through the cold and snow, work out with Canada’s Top Fitness Trainers, avoid back pain with one of the world’s most renowned experts and try out our delicious Holiday-themed recipes.