This recipe is the perfect weeknight pasta dish. It’s simple to make, gives you that comforting, hearty pasta dish feel, but it’s also packed with nutrients, vegetables, and protein. Lentil pasta is high in plant-powered protein making this a perfect recovery meal.
- 1 cup hummus
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 pint container cherry tomatoes (about 2 cups)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary
- ¼ – ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. miso paste
- 1½ boxes of red lentil pasta (each box is 227g)
- Pasta water**
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- One bunch of fresh asparagus (when in season),
- chopped in 1 inch pieces
- Spinach or arugula (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375(F). Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Create the sauce base by adding hummus to the base of an oven safe dish. Add garlic, tomatoes, olive oil, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the tomatoes squish easily with a fork.
- When the sauce is about 10 minutes from being done, cook your lentil pasta according to the box instructions. **Reserve the cooking pasta water for later use.
- In a steamer, steam chopped asparagus and frozen peas for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove sauce dish from the oven. Add miso paste to approximately ¼ cup of pasta water to combine, add to the pot. Add nutritional yeast, and enough additional pasta water as needed to thin. Mash the tomatoes with a fork and mix it all together until well combined.
- Add your cooked pasta, steamed veggies and combine. Enjoy!
- Optional add in — mix in a handful of chopped spinach or arugula when combining all ingredients. The warmth of the pasta and sauce will steam it and blend it into the dish.
- Season to taste (red pepper for spice, salt or miso for saltiness, nutritional yeast for cheesiness).
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories 511; protein 24 g; fat 22 g; carbs 59 g.
IMPACT Magazine’s 2021 Running Issue
Looking for running inspiration? Training for a race? We have first-rate training programs designed by some of the best running coaches for your next 10K, Half-Marathon, Marathon and 70.3 distances, plus an epic Road Running Shoe Review to help you get started on the right foot. Plus – our annual RACE SOURCE GUIDE features hundreds of races that you can participate in from virtual to in-person.