It’s simple to make, gives you that comforting, hearty pasta dish feel, but it’s also packed with nutrients, vegetables, and protein. Lentil pasta is high in plant-powered protein making this a perfect recovery meal.
- 1 cup hummus
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 pint container cherry tomatoes (about 2 cups)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried rosemary
- ¼ – ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. miso paste
- 1½ boxes of red lentil pasta (each box is 227g)
- Pasta water**
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- One bunch of fresh asparagus (when in season),
- chopped in 1 inch pieces
- Spinach or arugula (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375(F). Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Create the sauce base by adding hummus to the base of an oven safe dish. Add garlic, tomatoes, olive oil, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the tomatoes squish easily with a fork.
- When the sauce is about 10 minutes from being done, cook your lentil pasta according to the box instructions. **Reserve the cooking pasta water for later use.
- In a steamer, steam chopped asparagus and frozen peas for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove sauce dish from the oven. Add miso paste to approximately ¼ cup of pasta water to combine, add to the pot. Add nutritional yeast, and enough additional pasta water as needed to thin. Mash the tomatoes with a fork and mix it all together until well combined.
- Add your cooked pasta, steamed veggies and combine. Enjoy!
- Optional add in — mix in a handful of chopped spinach or arugula when combining all ingredients. The warmth of the pasta and sauce will steam it and blend it into the dish.
- Season to taste (red pepper for spice, salt or miso for saltiness, nutritional yeast for cheesiness).
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories 511; protein 24 g; fat 22 g; carbs 59 g.
IMPACT Magazine’s 2021 Running Issue
Looking for running inspiration? Training for a race? We have first-rate training programs designed by some of the best running coaches for your next 10K, Half-Marathon, Marathon and 70.3 distances, plus an epic Road Running Shoe Review to help you get started on the right foot. Plus – our annual RACE SOURCE GUIDE features hundreds of races that you can participate in from virtual to in-person.