This is one of my all-time favourite recipes, and I have spent months perfecting it for you (and for me and my family, not gonna lie.) These cookies are soft, chewy, sweet – but not too sweet – and decked out in ginger and chocolate. Yes, there is ginger powder as well as crystallized ginger chunks in the dough. We are wild over here. There’s just the right amount of subtle cinnamon to complement the other flavours, and it just so happens that this recipe is also gluten-free. Of course, we finish off the cookies with some lightly flaked salt for a totally balanced sweet/salty/spicy extravaganza!
Makes about 10 big cookies (12 medium or 16 small)
- ¾ cup vegan butter
- ¾ cup unrefined sugar
- 1 Tbsp. ground chia seeds, mixed with 3-4 Tbsp. water
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (gluten-free flour mixes work too)
- 1 Tbsp. ginger powder
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¾ cup crystallized ginger chunks, roughly chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Additional sugar for coating
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the chia mixture and molasses and mix just until smooth.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add this dry mixture to your wet mixture in the large bowl until you have a dough.
- Roll dough into 1 ½ – 2 inch balls, depending on how big you like your cookies. Roll each ball in sugar and place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, checking on them a couple times to make sure they don’t overbake. You want them to widen out and flatten a little bit, and develop those beautiful cracks on top. This will happen towards the end of the baking time. Let the baking sheets cool on wire racks, then enjoy the cookies.
Optional: Add some chocolate drizzle (melt ¼ cup vegan chocolate, whisk in 2 Tbsp. warm vegan milk) and flaky maldon salt for extra decadence.
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 262; protein 3.7 g; fat 5.8 g; carbs 48.8 g.
Read This Story in Our 30th Anniversary Digital Edition
Celebrate 30 years of Canada’s best health and fitness publication!
Explore future trends in health, fitness and food in this special 30th anniversary edition. Find our favourite tech and kitchen must-haves, then work out with two of IMPACT Magazine’s Canada’s Top Fitness Trainers before making one of our delicious plant-based recipes – all inside this issue!