These babies were conceived during a physically-distanced COVID hike with friends, where we daydreamed about the first restaurant food we’d have again with friends. That night, nachos still on our brain, my husband and I created this dialed-up version for a delicious, plant-powered meal!
- 2-3 cups yam, cubed or sliced in thin semi-circles to imitate nacho chips
- 2-3 cups potatoes, cubed or sliced in semicircles to imitate nacho chips
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ onion, diced (your choice of yellow, white or red onion)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalepeno or serrano pepper, sliced or minced (seeded if you can’t stand the heat)
- 2 cups, shredded vegan cheese
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 3 green onions, diced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 1 cup avocado, chopped or fresh guacamole
- 1 cup black beans rinsed and drained
Preheat oven to 350-375F.
Toss the sliced/cubed potatoes and yam in a bowl with the olive oil and salt; bake on a lined or greased baking sheet for about 15-20 minutes. Flip about 10 minutes in. Meanwhile, prep the rest of the ingredients.
When the yam/potatoes are about 5-6 minutes away from being done, pull from oven and layer them with the garlic, cheese, bell pepper, onion, and jalepeno/serrano pepper.
Bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until desired doneness then add the finishing touches by topping with fresh chopped tomato, green onion and basil.
Serve with fresh salsa and avocado/guacamole and salsa, and pair with a side salad topped with seeds/nuts for a nutritious, balanced and healthy meal for the whole family.
Nutrition facts per serving with black beans: Calories 564; protein 13 g; fat 25 g; carbs 74 g.
IMPACT Magazine’s Best of Food & Nutrition
2020 Special Edition
This 200+ page edition features our best plant-based recipes, kitchen tips, and expert nutritional advice! Simply click here to have the Best of Food & Nutrition 2020 Special Edition sent immediately in your inbox for free and to subscribe to our e-newsletter.