These gluten free vegan chocolate peppermint thumbprint cookies make a perfect addition to your Christmas cookie box.
Prep Time – 15 minutes
Cook Time – 12 minutes
Total Time – 27 minutes
Makes 14 cookies
• 3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. vegan butter, room temperature
• 1/3 cup organic powdered sugar
• 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
• 2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
• 1/4 tsp. sea salt
• 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
• 1 tsp. coconut oil
• 3 Tbsp. peppermint candy pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the vegan butter and powdered sugar into the bowl of a stand-alone mixer or a large mixing bowl if using a handheld mixer. Beat the butter and powdered sugar together until well combined, about 1-2 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract and mix until combined. Mix in the flour and sea salt until a dough forms.
- Separate the dough into 14 evenly sized balls and place them on the baking sheets about 1 -2 inches apart. They won’t spread. Use the back of a teaspoon-sized measuring spoon to press the balls down and make an indent in the centre. Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes. Let them cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to continue cooling.
- Once cooled, melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a heat-proof bowl over a small pot of simmering water. Stir the chocolate every so often until completely melted and then remove it from the heat.
- Fill the cavities of the cookies with chocolate. Let them cool at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before topping with peppermint candies to ensure the candies won’t sink into the chocolate.
- Allow the chocolate to continue to cool at room temperature until solid, about 1 hour.
If your dough seems too dry and is not coming together, you can add 1 teaspoon of water until the dough comes together.
Nutrition facts per serving Calories 236; protein 1 g; fat 11 g; carbs 18 g.
You may also like: Recipes
Read This Story in Our 2022 Holiday Gift Guide
The best gift-giving ideas this holiday season, stories, and great holiday recipes!