Incorporate new flavours and restorative nutrients with these two tasty post-run recipes.
Give toast a rest and substitute these spicy lentils and anti-oxidant rich arugula to accompany your next poached eggs.
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large celery stalk, diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1½ cups orange lentils
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 4 large eggs
- Pinch fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chopped chives for garnish, divided amongst plates
Directions for Braised Lentils With Arugula
- Heat a medium/large pan and add olive oil to warm through.
- Add the onion and celery and cook until the vegetables start to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, lentils, tomato purée, vegetable stock and balsamic vinegar. Bring everything to a low boil.
- Turn heat to low and let the mixture gently simmer for about 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender and most, but not all, of the liquid is absorbed. You may need to add more stock during cooking.
- When the lentils are cooked, turn off the heat and add the arugula. Stir and allow it to sit until the greens are just barely wilted.
Directions for Poached Eggs
- Bring a pot of water to a gentle boil.
- Crack eggs individually into a bowl.
- Create a gentle whirlpool in the water with a whisk and slowly tip the eggs, one at a time into the water, white first.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove with slotted spoon and blot on paper towel.
- Spoon a generous portion of lentils onto the plates and gently slide a poached egg on top. Garnish with freshly chopped chives, salt and freshly ground pepper.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 247 calories; 28g carbohydrates; 8g fat; 15g protein; 9g fibre; 230mg sodium