Here’s a new twist to oatmeal for breakfast! With a little planning, you can bake your oatmeal with peanut butter into a bar dolloped with your favourite jam – now we’re talking! These bars make a great grab ‘n’ go brekky.
Makes 16 Bars
- 1 Tbsp. golden flax meal
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup tapioca flour (or arrowroot flour)
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup natural crunchy or smooth peanut butter
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of your favourite jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line an 8 by 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper but cutting two strips both 8-inches wide and crossing them in the pan to create clean edges. Trim the excess overhang, if needed.
- Combine the flax meal and water and set aside to thicken, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, all-purpose flour, coconut sugar, tapioca flour, baking powder and sea salt.
- In a large liquid measuring cup, or another mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter, non-dairy milk, and vanilla with the thickened flax meal mixture until smooth. Add this to the mixing bowl of dry ingredients and fold together until fully combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the baking pan all the way to the edges. Take a dough cutter or knife and lightly score or mark every 2-inches across in each direction, creating the indented lines for 16 square bars. Do not cut through the pan of oat bars at this stage.
- Dollop about ½ teaspoon of jam on top of each square and gently press it with the back of the teaspoon into the top of each bar.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the bars look soft and raised. Cool in the baking pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes before lifting out by the parchment paper edges and placing onto the wire rack. Slice bars where you made the scores.
- Cool completely before storing leftovers in the fridge. You can warm slightly in the microwave for 30 seconds before eating. Consume within 7 days.
Nutrition facts per bar: Calories 331; protein 13 g; fat 11 g; carbs 64 g.