This vegan grilled pineapple salsa is super easy to put together and can be made in advance. It actually gets better the longer it sits, so don’t hesitate to make it early. It’s perfect for summer plant-based BBQs, so grab a bag of chips, or make some of your own crackers to dip into this fresh summer grilled pineapple salsa.
When perusing the store for a ripe pineapple, there are a few telltale signs that it’s ripe for the grilling:
- Smell the bottom of the pineapple. It should smell sweet and just like a pineapple. I know that sounds obvious but an underripe pineapple won’t have a smell and an overripe one will start to smell like fermented fruit.
- Give the pineapple a little squeeze. It should have a little give under your fingers.
- Lastly, pull at some of the inner leaves at the top. They should pop out with ease.
Once you’ve taken your perfect pineapple home and hacked away at it (check out youtube for lots of different ways to cut into your pineapple) enjoy a few bites of that juicy, sweet fruit before it hits the grill to be made into my Tahitian-inspired vegan salsa.
Prep Time – 10 minutes
- ½ cups grilled pineapple
- ¾ cup fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Juice from half a lime
- 3 Tbsp. fresh jalapeños seeded, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Season to taste
- Dash of chilli flakes
- Add all your ingredients into a medium bowl.
- Stir until well-combined and place into your fridge to marry for around 1-2 hours.
- Serve with chips or crackers.
Will last in the fridge for up to one week in a sealed container.
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories 314; protein 3 g; fat 14 g; carbs 48 g.
Photography by Maria Koutsogiannis
You may also like: Recipes
Read This Story in Our 2023 Summer Outdoor & Travel Issue
Featuring Alison Jackson, Canadian cyclist and only North American male or female to win the famed Paris Roubaix. Travel the country’s most stunning hot spots by campervan. Become a better trail running by improving your ascents and descents—plus, train outdoors with Canada’s Top Fitness Trainers. Enjoy plant-based summer recipes and so much more.