This perfect vegan pasta sauce recipe was inspired by my Greek roots and family using healthy, plant-based ingredients and tastes so damn good! You won’t have to spend forever in the kitchen making this sauce as it takes only 25 minutes. Just compile all your ingredients and get ready to cook and marry all the flavours. It’s the perfect mix of sweet and spicy.
Makes: 1 Large Jar
• 3 Tbsp. olive oil
• 2 small red onions, diced
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 tsp. cumin
• ½ tsp. sea salt
• 1 Tbsp. dried basil
• 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
• 1 Tbsp. dried cilantro
• ¼ tsp. cinnamon
• Dash of ground cloves
• 1 vegetable stock cube or 1 tsp. vegetable stock paste
• 2 red tomatoes, chopped
• 1 400 ml can Roma tomatoes
• 1 cup baby sweet peppers
• ¼ cup fresh parsley
• 2 sprigs fresh oregano
• ½ cup water
• 1 cup pasta water
1. To a large saucepan add your olive oil and heat for 30 seconds.
2. Add onions and garlic and sweat down for 5 minutes on medium heat. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
3. Add all spices and vegetable stock. Stir for 2 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes (canned and fresh), pepper and fresh herbs. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
5. Using a fork smash up your tomatoes and ensure the sauce is soft. Add ½ cup water and stir until combined.
6. Let your sauce cool for a few minutes, then put into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
7. Serve hot with a pasta of your choice or freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Calories 518; protein 8 g; fat 43 g; carbs 24 g.
Photography by Maria Koutsogiannis
2022 RACE SOURCE GUIDE. Training plans for every distance, yoga for runners, athletes with impact, running in the metaverse, recipes and much more!