Makes 2 servings
• 1 tsp. sea salt
• 1/2 cup warm water
• 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
• 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano, finely chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, small dice
• 1/4 tsp. cumin seeds, toasted and ground in mortar and pestle
• 1 Tbsp. sweet paprika
• 1 Tbsp. dry oregano
• 1 1/2 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
• 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
• 1/4 cup white vinegar
• 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
• 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 head cauliflower, leaves and stem trimmed*
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 cups stock
• 1/2 cup vermouth
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 slices fresh lemon
• 1/2 tsp. sea salt
*Do NOT core the cauliflower. The stem is needed to keep the steaks intact. With the cauliflower sitting on its stem, cut in half through the middle. Trim the outer edge of each half to form a thick steak-like piece of cauliflower. Each piece should be approximately 1 & 1/2 inch thick.
1. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the salt and warm water together to dissolve; set aside.
2. Once the salt has dissolved, combine all the ingredients. Gently whisk in the olive oil.
3. Taste for seasoning, adjusting as desired.
4. Place in a clean jar with a tight-fitting lid and store in the refrigerator.*
5. Bring to room temperature before serving.
*Note that you likely will not need all the chimichurri sauce, so you can either halve the recipe or store and use the leftovers for another purpose. Alternatively, you could easily double the amount of cauliflower steaks.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. In a 9 x 11 baking dish, mix the garlic, stock, vermouth, bay leaves, lemon, and salt. The amount of salt you add will depend on how salty your stock is. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
3. Place the cauliflower into the liquid and cover tightly with foil. Carefully transfer to the oven and let bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Ultimately, the time will depend on how thick the steaks are and your oven.
4. Test the steaks periodically. When a knife goes in somewhat easily the cauliflower is done. Note: The cauliflower should be cooked through, but still a bit firm. If it’s too soft, it will fall apart during frying.
5. Remove the steaks from the liquid and place onto a plate lined with paper towel. Blot the top of the cauliflower with paper towel as well. This step helps ensure you get a golden crust.
6. Heat a large frypan—or better yet, a cast-iron skillet—over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 Tbsp. oil, followed by the cauliflower. Let the cauliflower cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown on each side. Try not to fiddle with the pieces too much, otherwise, the steaks will start to fall apart.
7. Once done, toss the red-pepper strips with a bit of the chimichurri sauce and place a small handful of the strips on top of each piece of cauliflower. Drizzle the plate with a bit more sauce and serve with additional chimichurri as desired.
Much of this dish can be made ahead of time—including the baking of the cauliflower.
Garnish option – 1 roasted red pepper
1. Preheat the grill to high heat.
2. Brush the grill with oil.
3. Alternatively, peppers can be roasted in a 500 F oven or cooked under the broiler. When cooking in the oven, the oil is not necessarily needed, so feel free to omit.
4.Once the grill is hot, place the peppers onto the grill and close the lid.
5. Let cook for a few minutes until the one side starts to char. Turn and continue to cook—with the lid closed.
6. Keep turning and cooking until the peppers are charred all over. This should take around 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Once done, remove and let sit, until cool enough to handle.
8. Peel off the skin
9. When you remove the peppers from the grill, check to see if they feel quite firm. If so, place them into a bowl and cover them with plastic wrap to sweat. Not only will this continue to cook them, but it will also make them easier to peel.
10. Once the pepper has been charred and peeled, cut into somewhat-thick strips.
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories 529; protein 6.5 g; fat 29.5 g; carbs 17 g.
Read This Story in Our 2022 Inspiration Digital Edition
Read about Canada’s Top Fitness Trainers 2022. Need new ideas for your next workout. Test your fitness levels and see how you measure up. World-renowned breath expert, Richie Bostock shows us how to breathe correctly, 7 yoga poses for a better sleep, recipes and much more!
Lead image by Dawn Thomas