As we kick off a new year, get ready to dive into this amazing, full body workout that utilizes two of the most versatile pieces of equipment out there in the fitness world.
This suspension trainer and kettlebell workout truly covers all bases. Utilizing both tools you will perform all major movement patterns: the squat, the lunge, the hinge, pushing, pulling and a plank.
The kettlebell weight can be adjusted to the most appropriate weight for you and the suspension trainer can not only challenge your stability but also support you further when needed.
With just four exercises, this incredible, complete workout will not only build multi-dimensional strength, it will also leave you feeling empowered and improve the function of your whole body!
SUSPENSION TRAINER LUNGE WITH KETTEBELL
3 sets x 8 reps on each leg, 1 min rest between sets
- Stand upright with one foot in the suspension trainer foot cradle. Hold a single kettlebell in the same hand as the elevated foot.
- Lower the back knee towards the floor, keeping the front knee in line with toes.
- Return to the top position by driving the front foot into the ground
SUSPENSION TRAINER CHEST PRESS TO ROLLOUT
3 sets x 8 reps, 1 min rest between sets
- Start with your hands in the suspension trainer handles, arms extended in front of you.
- Take a step back to bring the body to a 45-degree angle. Throughout the exercise, keep heels lifted and shoulder away from the ears.
- Lower your chest between your hands, maintaining a long spine and braced core, and return to the top position.
- Extend your handles forward and upwards, keeping the arm straight. Maintain a long spine and braced core.
- Return to start position.
SUSPENSION TRAINER SQUAT TO OVERHEAD PRESS
3 sets x 8 reps on each arm, 1 min rest between sets
- Start with one hand in the suspension trainer handle and holding a kettlebell in the other.
- Lower the hips back and down into a squat position, maintaining good spine alignment.
- As you stand up and return to the top position, press the kettlebell directly upwards to an overhead position, keeping your core braced.
- Return to start position.
SUSPENSION TRAINER DEADLIFT TO ROW
3 sets x 8 reps on each side,1 min rest between sets
- Start in an upright standing position, holding a kettlebell in your right hand.
- Tip forward from your hips while lifting your right leg behind you, maintaining a long spine and braced core throughout.
- At the bottom position, pull the kettlebell towards you keeping the elbow in and squeezing your shoulder blade in towards your spine. Lower the kettlebell and return
- to the upright start position.
Photography by Scott Harrald
You may also like: Workouts
Read This Story in Our 2024 Inspiration Issue
Read about our 2024 Canada’s Top Fitness Trainers – our top 30 from across Canada! How to Hire a Personal Trainer, The Dangers of Overtraining, Return to Running After Illness, Easy Vegan Garlic Noodles and more!