Photo: Danielle Arsenault
Tangy Ginger Kelp Noodle Soup.
- 4 cups boiling water
- 4-6 Tbsp. miso paste (to taste)
- Half a fresh Serrano chili, seeds removed and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- A half thumb of fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp. tamari/coconut aminos/nama shoyu
- 2 handfuls of kelp noodles
- 1 handful of cilantro
- 1 handful of chopped green onion
- Juice of one lime
- Drizzle of hot sauce
Combine chili, garlic and ginger with 1 cup of water in a high-speed blender. In a separate bowl, soak the kelp noodles in boiling water and cut into smaller noodles with kitchen shears. Divide the noodles when softened into separate bowls for each person. In another small bowl, mix miso paste with a couple spoons of the boiling water to dissolve the paste. Add the rest of the water and chili, garlic, ginger liquid. Ladle the miso broth over the noodles and top with freshly chopped cilantro and scallions. Finish with a squeeze of lime and your favorite hot sauce.
Danielle Arsenault is founder of Pachavega Living Foods Education. She is based in Canmore, Alta.