Photo: Marissa Tiel
Canoeist in the Kitchen
Mac n’ Cheese-ish.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- ¾ cup soaked cashews
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (almond milk is my favorite)
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ red onion
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 7 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 cups of steamed kale
- pea sprouts as a garnish
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- pasta of choice
- olive oil
- Soak cashews in warm water for about 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Place peeled and chopped butternut squash pieces into a pan coated in a light layer of olive oil into oven for 35 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to instructions on the package.
- Mix cashews, almond milk, garlic, onion, lemon juice, salt, nutritional yeast, and butternut squash in food processor until it is a smooth thick “cheese-ish” sauce.
- Steam kale for about 30 seconds.
- Combine kale, pasta and “cheese-ish sauce” in a large bowl topped with pea sprouts.
- Calories 261; Fat 9g; Carbs 31g; Protein 14g
Haley Daniels is author of Canoeist Kitchen and a Canadian champion white water paddler.