Spring rolls are a great way to enjoy a bunch of delicious, fresh ingredients that don’t require any frying for a healthy and light meal or snack.
Prep time – 20 minutes
Cook times – 10 minutes
• 1 240g pack tempeh (can use raw tofu if preferred), sliced into thin strips
• 2 Tbsp. unflavoured cooking oil (avocado or sesame works best)
• 1 carrot (medium), shredded
• 3/4 cup shredded cabbage
• 1/2 red pepper, sliced into strips
• 1 cucumber, cut into strips
• 1 cup shredded collard greens or spinach
• 8 pieces of rice paper wrappers
• Salt to taste
Peanut Dipping Sauce:
• 2 Tbsp. peanut butter
• 1/2 Tbsp. Braggs or soy sauce
• 1 Tbsp. unflavoured cooking oil
• 1 Tbsp. water
1. Prepare all vegetables and tempeh as described above.
2. Add all dipping sauce ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
3. On medium heat, sauté tempeh in oil until golden on all sides (about 10 mins). Season to taste with salt and set aside.
4. Pour warm water onto a dinner plate and submerge your first rice wrapper. After five seconds, flip it over to dip the other side in water, then remove. Place wrapper on a chopping board, and fill one half with carrot, cabbage, pepper, cucumber, collards and tempeh.
5. Fold up the bottom of the rice wrapper, then fold each side over the ingredients tightly.
6. Serve all rolls on a large platter with the dipping sauce.
If using tofu instead of tempeh, there is no need to cook it. Raw tofu works fine in spring rolls. Although these spring rolls don’t contain rice noodles (vermicelli), feel free to use them if you wish. To prepare, soak noodles in boiling water for several minutes until softened, then rinse.
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories 169; protein 8 g; fat 10 g; carbs 17 g.
You may also like: Recipes
Read This Story in Our 2023 Summer Outdoor & Travel Issue
Featuring Alison Jackson, Canadian cyclist and only North American male or female to win the famed Paris Roubaix. Travel the country’s most stunning hot spots by campervan. Become a better trail running by improving your ascents and descents—plus, train outdoors with Canada’s Top Fitness Trainers. Enjoy plant-based summer recipes and so much more.