New varieties of plant-based meats are constantly appearing on grocery store shelves. Vegan sausages are one of my favourite products so far. Plant-based meat is practical, fast, and delicious. In short, “It does the job,” as my father used to say.
In this paella recipe, I also add nori, the type of seaweed used to make sushi. Along with the vegan sausage, it creates the surf ‘n’ turf flavour that makes paella so delicious.
Prep Time – 40 minutes
Cook Time – 65 minutes
- 6 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 4 spicy vegan sausages
- 2 portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 can hearts of palm, drained, rinsed, and sliced into rounds
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sheet nori, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 generous pinch saffron threads
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat half of the oil. Add the sausages and cook for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove the sausages from the pot, slice into rounds, and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat the remaining oil, then add the mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper, and cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the hearts of palm, garlic, and nori, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the wine, bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, except the reserved sausages and the garnishes, and return to a boil. Transfer the mixture to a 10 x 15-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Arrange the sausage rounds over the paella and bake for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories 330; protein 11 g; fat 27 g; carbs 30 g.
Excerpted from The Buddhist Chef’s Homestyle Cooking by Jean-Philippe Cyr. Copyright © 2023 Jean-Philippe Photographs by Dominique Lafond Cyr. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
You may also like: Sprouted Coronation Chickpeas
Read This Story in our 2023 Fall Fitness & Food Issue
Featuring this year’s winners of the Amazing Race Canada, Ty Smith and Kat Kastner on our cover. Inside our latest issue, you’ll find all the inspiration you need to carry you through the autumn season. From delicious high-protein recipes and how to resist the crunch of potato chips to running through the high peaks of the Colorado Rockies and the latest in nutrition and fitness, these pages are packed with expert knowledge and advice.