The secret ingredient in this fabulous soup? Nutritional yeast. Seriously, thank goodness for this stuff – it’s a real lifesaver for anyone transitioning to a plant-based lifestyle. It is an excellent source of protein and B vitamins and is therefore often used abundantly among the veggie crowd. Considered a complete protein containing 18 amino acids, it also contains a variety of minerals such as chromium, an important nutrient for maintaining balanced blood sugar levels. Enjoy this rich, creamy soup and know you’re getting all the nutrients you need from a well-balanced meal!
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. Celtic sea salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2½ cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 large carrots shredded
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- In a large pot, cook the onions in the coconut oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and Dijon and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the plant-based milk, water, and broccoli.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Turn off heat and stir in nutritional yeast.
- Remove the soup and puree in a blender.
- Pour it back into the pot, add shredded carrots and bring to a gentle simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in nutmeg and lemon juice and serve.
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories 204; protein 23g; fat 4 g; carbs 11 g.
IMPACT Magazine’s 2021 Inspiration Issue
Read about our 2021 Canada’s Top Fitness Instructors – our top 30 from across Canada! Go beyond traditional thinking to optimize movement through stretching, find out about 7 DIY hacks to improve the air quality in your home, learn about taking care of your heart through proper nutrition, enjoy some of our best plant-based recipes yet, and work out with our Canada’s Top Fitness Trainers!