This recipe features Row 7 Seed Company’s #898 Squash grown from Row 7 seeds – bred to reimagine the workaday butternut squash, but any squash will do!
- 4 squash ( butternut recommended)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, remove the seeds.
- Lay the squash halves, cut-side up, on a baking tray. Lightly drizzle or brush with the oil, and season with salt.
- Roast the squash, uncovered, in the oven for about 50 minutes, until the flesh is very tender. Remove from the oven.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh of the squash using a spoon. Reserve the skins.
- Place the squash in a bowl and mash with a fork. Or, for a smoother texture, transfer the squash to a blender and puree. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve puree with squash skin crumble.
Squash Skin Crumble
- Preheat an oven to its lowest setting—150 F is ideal.
- Transfer the reserved roasted squash skins to a parchment-lined baking tray. Place the tray in the oven for 8-10 hours, or until the squash skins are completely dry and brittle.
- Remove tray from the oven and allow to cool.
- Transfer the dried skins into a blender or food processor and blend to a medium-fine crumble consistency. Season with salt to taste.
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 210; protein 5 g; fat 1 g; carbs 51 g.
IMPACT Magazine’s December 2020 Edition
Read about our top Canadian Olympic snowboarder who returned from injury and is chasing that elusive Olympic Gold! Learn how not to lose your momentum running through the cold and snow, work out with Canada’s Top Fitness Trainers, avoid back pain with one of the world’s most renowned experts and try out our delicious Holiday-themed recipes.