You won’t be roasting chestnuts on an open fire, but you can use them in this hearty and delicious stew. Parsnips and chestnuts are the perfect pairing for you and your loved ones to enjoy.
- 2 large parsnips, peeled, medium diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled, medium diced
- 1 small white onion, peeled, medium diced
- 1 cup peeled chestnuts
- 1 Tbsp. grated ginger
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 Tbsp. roasted garlic
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven 375F.
- Toss parsnips, onions, potatoes, chestnuts, carrots with olive oil, season with salt/pepper roast in oven for about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven when vegetables are slightly golden in colour.
- While vegetables are roasting, in sauce pot add vegetable broth, ginger, garlic, bay leaves, star anise. Bring to a boil then let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove star anise and bay leaves, thicken broth with cornstarch, and add roasted vegetables. Heat, season to taste – add chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Nutrition facts per serving
Calories 226; protein 4 g; fat 7 g; carbs 38 g.
IMPACT Magazine’s 2021 Inspiration Issue
Read about our 2021 Canada’s Top Fitness Instructors – our top 30 from across Canada! Go beyond traditional thinking to optimize movement through stretching, find out about 7 DIY hacks to improve the air quality in your home, learn about taking care of your heart through proper nutrition, enjoy some of our best plant-based recipes yet, and work out with our Canada’s Top Fitness Trainers!