Canadians have played a big role in the history of triathlon from the Puntos twins Sylviane and Patricia finishing 1-2 in 1984 at the Ironman world championships to Simon Whitfield taking gold in triathlon’s debut at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney. While these triathletes may allow their bikes to collect a little more dust than before and hitting the pool might be more about chasing children than winning races, they all played an essential role in shaping the sport we know today. Meet IMPACT’s triathlon all-stars.
- AGE: 47
- FORTE: Ironman and Ironman 70.3 distance. Raced pro from 1991-2007
- MADE HISTORY: 1997 Ironman world champion, 15-time Ironman champion, 2015 Hall of Fame inductee
- DWELLS: Born in Edmonton, lives in Encinitas, Calif.
- ENTERPRISE: Pro athlete liaison at Ironman
- PASSING TIME: “The activities I do are purely for a healthy lifestyle and because I love to stay active. I run five times a week and pop into trail races every so often. (I have done two 50-milers.) I paddle board three times a week and bike every week.”
- AGE: 35
- FORTE: Everything from Olympic to Ironman — favourite was IM 70.3, raced pro from 2002-2012
- MADE HISTORY: 2004 Olympian, 2006 IM 70.3 world champion, 2nd Hawaii IM (2007), three-time Canadian champion
- DWELLS: Tucson Ariz., raised in St. Catharines, Ont.
- ENTERPRISE: Medical student at University of Arizona
- PASSING TIME: “Studying, but I still work out every day. I love to run the west Tucson trails and jump in with friends for a swim workout or bike ride.”
- AGE: 49
- FORTE: 18 years racing Olympic distance triathlon
- MADE HISTORY: Gold at the 2002 Commonwealth Games, 2004 Olympian, three-time world championship medallist: 1990 Silver, 1996 Bronze, 2001 Silver
- DWELLS: North Vancouver, B.C. and San Diego, Calif.
- ENTERPRISE: Student at Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, San Diego
- PASSING TIME: “I run five to six days per week, often with my dogs. I do sit-ups, push-ups and pull-ups four times/week for strength. For fun, I started surfing.”
- AGE: 38
- FORTE: Raced professionally from 23-31 starting with Olympic distance and moving to XTERRA off-road triathlons.
- MADE HISTORY: Silver two times at the elite Olympic distance triathlon nationals, national Off-Road champion.
- DWELLS: Victoria, B.C.
- ENTERPRISE: Owns and operates Kelly’s Kids Triathlon, a local triathlon team for junior athletes.
- PASSING TIME: “I still mountain bike, run, climb and ski. I also enter push-up contests whenever I can!”