Event Updates

LET'S STAY CONNECTED and support these events.

Postponed Events

Rocky Mountain Soap Company Women's Run & Walk (Canmore, AB)

In the past week, local governing bodies have changed their guidelines around COVID-19 and group events, and it is no longer an option to safely host the Women’s Run weekend on May 23/24 of this year.   
 
The good news? The 2020 Women’s Run & Walk is postponed until the fall!

Event organizers are working with stakeholders and partners to secure a date for the postponed races, and will be in touch as they receive more information at www.rmswomensrun.com.

Wasa Lake Triathlon (Wasa Provincial Park, Cranbrook, B.C.)

The ITU cancelled all events up to June 30, 2020. Due to COVID-19 the NEW date for Gerick Sports Wasa Triathon/Duathlon is August 8+9, 2020.

The event schedule will remain as outlined. Gerick Sports Wasa Triathlon/Duathlon has also confirmed Steve King as the announcer for the new August dates. Even with challenges they are striving to maintain a great event with a good reputation!

Updated options and information has been sent to those currently registered. For more information, visit http://www.rmevents.com/triathlon/.

Scotiabank Calgary Marathon

Organizers of the 56th Annual Scotiabank Calgary Marathon, originally scheduled for Sunday, May 31st, have announced that the race will be postponed until later this year.

Over the past several weeks, the Calgary Marathon Society (Run Calgary) has been monitoring updates from Calgary Emergency Management Agency (CEMA), city, provincial, federal, and international public safety and health agencies regarding the global coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Run Calgary anticipated changes to the Scotiabank Calgary Marathon race weekend and have been coordinating with local agencies and partners to secure a reschedule date for the 2020 Scotiabank Calgary Marathon, 50KM Solo and Relay, Centaur Subaru 21.1KM, Jugo Juice 10KM and GoodLife Fitness 5KM Walk and Run. The goal is to reschedule the races for summer or early fall and participants will be updated as soon as a date is secured. Please watch for updates on both the Run Calgary and Calgary Marathon social media channels.

For questions regarding the postponement of the 2020 Scotiabank Calgary Marathon, please visit www.calgarymarathon.com

Jasper Canadian Rockies Half Marathon Presented by Pursuit

After lengthy discussions with partners, the necessary mandate by the Alberta Government, as well as the health and safety of our participants, volunteers, and local community, Multisportscanada has decided to cancel the April 18 date of the 2020 Jasper Canadian Rockies Half Marathon.

A revised race date will be announced after the government has determined the best course of action for large gatherings, and Multisportscanada has finalized details with Parks Canada, the Municipality of Jasper and its partners.

For more info, visit http://jaspercanadianrockieshalf.ca.

Cancelled Events

Vancouver Island Runners' Association

The Vancouver Island Runners’ Association has cancelled the remaining races in the 2020 Island Race Series because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Those races include:

 

Vancouver Sun Run

After careful consideration and in light of the latest information from federal and provincial health agencies, the 2020 Vancouver Sun Run has decided to cancel the 2020 event. The health and safety of registrants, staff and volunteers is top priority, and at this time, several health agencies in North America have recommended cancelling large gatherings. Although the Federal Ministry of Health continues to assess the health risk to Canadians as low in regards to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) the Vancouver Sun Run feels that is in the best interest of participants to cancel the event.

2020 registered runners will have the opportunity to transfer their registration to the 2021 event. Full details will be announced soon regarding this process, but an overview is below detailing what runners can expect.

  • At an appropriate time, you will be able to pick up your race shirt for the 2020 Sun Run at a “packet pick-up.”
  • You will have the option to transfer to the 2021 Vancouver Sun Run by paying a $15 fee, which covers some of the expenses incurred for the 2020 event (e.g., race shirts).
  • You will not be obligated to transfer to the 2021 event
  • All terms and conditions remain in full effect, including the ‘no refund policy’

To receive an email alert as soon as transfer details are available, click here.

Mother's Day Run, Walk and Ride (Calgary)

During this unprecedented time, Sport Chek has made the prudent decision to cancel the 2020 Mother’s Day Run, Walk and Ride.  While this is very disappointing, the health, safety, and wellbeing of all Calgarians is top priority and responsibility. 

For those of you already registered, Sport Chek will be refunding your race fees. Please watch for an email from Race Roster regarding your reimbursement.

Plaid Goat Mountain Bike Fest (Canmore)

Plaid Goat has made the difficult decision to not proceed with a 2020 festival due to long-term uncertainty with COVID-19 and travel commitments.

In the meantime, be well and stay healthy… we hope to see you out riding on our region’s awesome trails once this is all behind us.

BlueShore Financial Mother’s Day Run presented by The Westin Bayshore (Vancouver)

The 2020 BlueShore Financial Mother’s Day Run presented by The Westin Bayshore to be held on Sunday, May 10th has been cancelled due to increased COVID-19 concerns and the recent directive from the British Columbia Provincial Health Officer to ban all public gatherings that exceed 50 people.

Due to the nature of the event being focused on Mother’s Day, and the logistical challenges of postponing the entire event, it will NOT be rescheduled this year.

For more info, visit https://runmomrun.ca/event-updates.

Saskatchewan Marathon Presented by Nutrien (Saskatoon)

The 2020 Saskatchewan Marathon has been cancelled due to increased COVID-19 concerns. The health and safety of runners, volunteers, fans, stakeholders, suppliers and the public at large is always highest priority.

If you are registered for the Saskatchewan Marathon this year and already paid to run or walk, the Saskatoon Road Runners Association (SRRA) has made a decision to offer the options below to provide some value for that investment:

  1. VIRTUAL RACE – Complete your distance anytime between May 15 and June 15, 2020 and enter your time on the official results page. Once you’ve submitted your results, you can claim your t-shirt and medal at Brainsport, or if you don’t get to Saskatoon, they will be mailed to you.
  2. DEFER YOUR ENTRY – to the SRRA River Run on Sunday September 20 any distance – Half Marathon, 10KM and 5KM.  This event is also organized by the Saskatoon Road Runners Association. You will get SWAG and a medal.  
  3. RECEIVE A REFUND – of 70% back to your credit card. Most of your registration fees have been spent on the 2020 race and can’t be recovered. Although they normally don’t provide refunds, the SRRA is committed to providing this funding to you in these extraordinary times.
  4. DONATE TO MEEWASIN – you can convert your 70% refund to a donation to help maintain the trails in the Meewasin Valley. You will receive a charitable tax receipt and a special gift!

For more info, visit https://saskmarathon.ca.

General Updates

2020 Longest Day Road Race: Friday, June 19th at UBC Thunderbird Stadium (Vancouver)

Notice from event organizers:

The Longest Day Road Race is scheduled to take place on Friday, June 19th at UBC. As you can appreciate, it is unclear at this time, what will transpire in the coming weeks and how long it will be before we are though this crisis. The most important thing is clearly everyone’s health and well being and we know that we will get through this if we all work together.

Because of that uncertainty, we have three options:

  1. The first option is to continue to plan as if the event will take place on the specified date. We will not do so if there is any chance that it would compromise the safety/health of our participants. We would of course follow any direction provided by the health services.
  2. The second is to plan for an alternate date and move the event back as events transpire. We would likely need a month’s lead-in to get entries and reorganized, so we would be looking at mid-July onwards through till early September or perhaps October.
  3. The last option is to cancel.

We are choosing to work through each of these, so for now we are proceeding with planning as usual assuming that the event will be able to go ahead safely.

Share Your Updates!

Do you have news related to your race or event? Share your updates to us by email and we will share them with our readers!

X