Photo: Gord Weber
Sweet Potato Chili.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. each of chili powder, ground cumin and unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. fresh garlic, peeled and chopped
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 16 oz jar salsa (I prefer the hot)
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
Place the olive oil and diced onion in a pot and sauté. Add the sweet potato and all of the spices and cook for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil on medium heat, then lower to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes. Serve the chili with fresh cilantro, avocado, a squeeze of fresh lime and tortilla chips.
Nutritional facts per serving: Calories 172; Fats 3.2g; Carbs 32g; Potassium 658mg; Sodium 505mg; Fibre 8g.
Kathy Smart is an Ottawa nutritionist, holistic chef, personal fitness trainer, founder of Live The Smart Way and is known as North America’s Gluten-Free Expert.