Photo: Haley Barton
Shredded Chicken, Spelt Berry & Cashew Salad.
LIGHTEN UP AT DINNER
This recipe provides a great source of both protein and carbohydrates to fuel your muscles for tomorrow’s workout without weighing you down at night.
- 4 tsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. dark sesame seed oil
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- Zest of one lime
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup spelt berries
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 3 carrots shredded (1 cup)
- ¾ cup sugar snap peas, sliced diagonally
- ⅓ cup sliced green onions – whites and greens
- 1 oz. cashews
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cook the spelt according to the directions on the package.
- Let cool.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the first five ingredients.
- Stir well with a whisk.
- Add spelt, chicken, carrots, snap peas and green onions.
- Toss to combine.
- Stir in cashews, cilantro and add salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Info – per serving:
- 368 calories; 26g protein; 34g carbohydrates; 13.5g fat; 6g fibre.
Haley Barton, MSc., is Nutritionist and Health Educator at Nutrition Savvy in Vancouver, B.C.