Photo: Julia Pelish, courtesy Heirloom Vegetarian.
Vancouver’s Top 5 Healthy Restaurants
Avocado Frites at Heirloom Vegetarian in Vancouver.
- 1 litre fine corn meal
- 500 ml chana (chickpea flour)
- 25 ml ground coriander
- 40 ml smoked hot paprika
- 30 ml salt
- 7 ml ground black pepper
- 3.75 ml cayenne pepper
- Whisk all ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
- There will be plenty of leftovers. Place in a sealed container as it will keep for up to six months.
- Cut an avocado in half, remove the pit.
- With the skin on, cut the avocado halves into three wedges in the skin and scoop out into the breading.
- Toss gently to coat and lift out while giving it shake to remove the excess breading.
- Heat enough oil in a pan to shallow fry.
- When the oil starts to simmer, add in your coated wedges and cook until golden.
- Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Lift out and drain on paper towel.
- Season with salt.
- Plate with the creamy cilantro dip and serve with a lime wedge and cilantro.