Photo: Russ Sedin
Get It On the Grill
Barbecued Tortilla Pizza.
- Whole wheat or gluten-free tortillas. Grape seed or other high-heat oil
Sauce (choose or combine):
- Your favourite tomato sauce (made from scratch or high-quality jarred); pesto; barbecue sauce
- Choose and combine fresh or cooked ingredients, crunchy and soft textures, and use herbs liberally.
Cheese (choose or combine):
- Buffalo mozzarella; Sheep feta; Parmesano Reggiano or vegan cheese
- Fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, cheese, drizzle of balsamic on tomato sauce, or; red onion, mushrooms, olives, spinach and feta on tomato sauce, or; caramelized onions, pine nuts, sun-dried tomatoes and chili peppers on pesto, or; humanely raised chicken, red onions, roasted red peppers, cilantro and mozzarella on barbecue sauce
- Preheat grill to low.
- Chop and prepare all toppings.
- Brush tortillas with grape seed oil and grill 1-2 minutes on each side, or just until crispy. Set aside.
- Assemble pizzas with your choice of ingredients and place back on the grill.
- Keep heat low and the lid open and watch the cheese melt. Remove immediately to avoid burning crust.
Barb Thomas, CHN, is a holistic nutritionist and culinary educator at love2eat in Calgary, Alta.