Photo: Kyla Zanardi
Toronto’s Top 5 Healthy Restaurants
Fresh's 10 Veg Salad.
You may not have tried kohlrabi, but you’ve probably seen this knobby purple or green vegetable in the grocery store or market. If you can’t find kohlrabi, just substitute broccoli stems, jicama, or even chopped cucumber — you just want something light and crunchy.
Having some warm elements on a salad always makes it feel more special and the grilled asparagus and oyster mushrooms on this salad really elevate it. Nuts, seeds, tofu, or tempeh are great additions and round out this medley of cold and warm veggies.
- 8 stalks asparagus
- 8 large oyster mushrooms
- ½ tsp. tamari
- ½ to 1 tsp. sunflower oil
- 4 cups shredded napa cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup shelled edamame
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed, rinsed and drained
- 8 grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup shredded kohlrabi
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 8 slices avocado
- ½ to 1 cup dressing of your choice
- Combine the asparagus, mushrooms, tamari and oil in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Cook asparagus and mushrooms until asparagus is crisp-tender and mushrooms are browned and tender. (You can either grill them on a panini grill set on high, or spread them over a baking sheet and roast in a preheated 350F oven for 3 to 5 minutes.) Set aside.
- Place cabbage in a large bowl.
- Around the edge, arrange carrot, edamame, corn, tomatoes, kohlrabi, red pepper, and avocado.
- On top, in the middle, place the cooked asparagus and mushrooms.
- Serve with dressing.
Recipe from Super Fresh: Super Natural, Super Vibrant Vegan Recipes by Jennifer Houston and Ruth Tal. Copyright Fresh Juice for Life Ltd., 2015. Reprinted by permission of Penguin Canada.