Photo: Dave Wonghen
Fast Food Slows you Down
Crispy ‘Cheezy’ Baked Tofu
- 1 block organic extra firm tofu
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1-2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- ½-¾ cup milk or almond milk
- ⅓-½ cup whole grain spelt flour
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. liquid honey
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Grease the parchment paper with 1 Tbsp. coconut oil (important to reduce dryness).
- In a medium bowl, mix the nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, parsley, basil, oregano, paprika, cumin and turmeric.
- Pour the milk into a separate small bowl.
- In a third bowl, place the flour by itself.
- Rinse the block of tofu. Cut it into about 18 slices (6 slices per serving).
- Dip each tofu slice into the flour, coat thoroughly and shake off excess.
- Dip each slice into the milk then dip in the spice mixture.
- Place each slice on the greased parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip and bake for 15 minutes more, until golden.
- Dip the baked tofu in a mixture of 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard with 1 Tbsp. liquid honey per person.
- Serve with sautéed veggies.
- Add turmeric to give your honey mustard dip some extra kick.
Nutrition Facts per serving: Calories 341; Fat 13g; Carbs 35g; Sugar 6g; Fiber 8g; Protein 26g.
Crystal Higgins is a registered dietitian and nutrition consultant in Vancouver, B.C. She is a BCRPA certified group fitness instructor and runs marathons.