Photo: Blue Star Diner
Calgary’s Top 5 Healthy Restaurants
Pan Seared Organic Salmon with fresh peas, fingerling potatoes, dill oil and a Charred Lemon and Brown Butter Vinaigrette from Blue Star Diner.
- 2 x 5 oz. filet of salmon
- 8 fingerling potatoes (blanched and sliced lengthwise)
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup shelled peas (blanched)
- 2 cups washed tender pea greens
- 2 cloves garlic (sliced thin)
- 3 tbsp. chicken stock
- 4 oz. dill (stems removed)
- ¾ cup neutral oil
- Pinch of salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Blend dill and oil in a small blender or mortar and pestle until smooth.
- Remove and reserve for later. Preheat oven to 200F.
- Heat a pan on the stove over medium high heat.
- Add a small amount of olive oil and place potatoes cut side down; season with salt.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat a second pan over medium high heat.
- While pan is heating, season the salmon with salt and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Blot top of salmon dry.
- Add a small amount of olive oil to pan and carefully place salmon fleshy side down.
- While salmon is cooking, turn potatoes over with a spoon or small lifter and cook until golden.
- Add chopped parsley, transfer potatoes to oven-safe bowl to keep warm.
- When a golden crust begins to form on the salmon, flip over in pan and turn heat off.
- In the same pan the potatoes were in, sauté the garlic at medium high heat in a little olive oil until tender.
- Add washed pea greens, salt and toss until wilted.
- Add a splash of chicken stock and the shelled blanched peas.
- Arrange potatoes on the base of a platter.
- Place peas and greens on top of potatoes.
- Top with salmon, dress with vinaigrette and dill oil.
- Garnish with fresh dill or pea tendrils.
Charred Lemon & Brown Butter Vinaigrette
Yield : 250ml
- 1 lemon
- 4 oz. butter
- 1 ½ tbsp. diced shallot
- 2 ½ tbsp. honey
- ⅓ cup sherry vinegar
- ⅔ cup your favourite oil salt and cracked pepper to taste.
- Heat a dry pan over medium heat.
- Cut lemon in half and place cut side down flat onto the hot surface.
- Cook lemon face until golden brown.
- Squeeze juice and pulp through a strainer to collect seeds and set aside.
- Melt butter over medium high heat in a new stainless pan and whisk to keep milk solids from sticking to the bottom.
- The butter will bubble/foam and start to go from yellow to golden to an amber color.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- In a blender, combine butter, honey, and sherry vinegar. Blend to combine.
- Slowly add your favorite oil.
- Season with salt and fresh pepper to taste.