Photo: Grace Dove
Canoeist in the Kitchen
Black Bean and Blueberry 3 B’s Burger.
The B’s stand for black bean and blueberry. This flavour packed veggie burger is my go to meal when I am looking to satisfy my burger craving.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 30 to 35 minutes
- 1 small can of drained and rinsed black beans
- 1 cup grated carrots
- ½ cooked or steamed sweet potato
- 2 cloves garlic minced and browned
- ½ cup onion minced and browned
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ cup ground hemp hearts
- ½ cup dried blueberries
- ½ almond meal flour
- cilantro to garnish
- 1 flax seed egg
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix flax seed egg with warm water and set aside for a few minutes.
- In food processor, combine black beans, sweet potato and hemp hearts.
- In large bowl, combine the contents from the food processor and the remaining ingredients (except the cilantro).
- With slightly wet hands (to minimize sticking), shape the contents into 10 patties and place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, gently flip them over and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with buns and desired condiments.
- Calories 124; Fat 10.1g; Carbs 13.2g; Protein 7.3g
Haley Daniels is author of Canoeist Kitchen and a Canadian champion white water paddler.