Photo: Jarusha Brown, Prospera Granfondo Axel Merckx
10 Weeks to the Best Ride of Your Life
This is the final week before your big event. This should be a very low-stress week. When it comes to improvement, the closer the race gets, the less improvement we can expect to see. And throwing in a few extra panic training kilometres the week before the race can cause more damage than it’s worth. Be confident that you have done what you can to get to the start line. In a way, the hard part is over. All that’s left is the cherry on top!
This week, focus on rest, good nutrition, staying healthy and keeping your stress low. There are a few workouts this week to help keep you activated and functionally at your best, but really focus on the quality of your time off the bike to make full benefit of this week.
- Bike: Tabata workout – 15 seconds on, 20 seconds off
- Duration: 40 minutes
- Workout Description: Functional stress on all systems. This one will hit you hard
- Warm-up: 5 minutes easy gradually increasing heart rate
- Main set: 1 to 3 sets. For one set: go 15 seconds at 100% and rest for 20 seconds. Repeat until you fall to 90% exertion. Rest 5 minutes in between sets
- Cool-down: Balance of time to complete 40 minutes
- Bike: Super easy ride
- Duration: 60 minutes
- Workout Description: Really easy flat ride at 60% to keep the legs ticking
- Registration and bike check
- Workout Description: Ensure you collect your race package at the fondo expo, then check that your bike is in perfect working order. Take a 5-minute spin
- Race day!!!
Luke Way is head coach at Balance Point Racing in Kelowna, B.C.
- Stage 1 – Weeks 1-3: Structural and Functional Fitness
- Stage 2 – Weeks 4-6: Back to Back Long Rides
- Stage 3 – Weeks 7-9: That's No Hill! It's Just a Bump!